Old Dominion Black Smith Association
Established November 2005
ODBSA Schedule of Events for 2020
1. All monthly Events will be held on the 2nd Sat. of each month.
2. Addresses & Directions to each of the places are at the bottom of this page.
3. The cost for "Refreshment & Lunch", when provided, is $7.00 per person.
4. Admission fee is $15.00.
5. Start time is at 10:00am.(always come early) & finish time is usually 3 to 5:00pm.
1. If you know of someone that you would like to demonstrate, please let me know.
2. If you would like to be the host of one of our Events, please let me know.
3. If you know where we could have an Event, please let me know.
4. If you have something you would like to see forged, let me know, and I will try to find someone.
1. Jan. 11th: David Tucciarone's, SunRise Forge in Rustburg,VA with Master Blacksmith David Tucciarone as our demonstrator.
2. Feb. 8th - David Tucciarone's SunRise forge in Rustburg, VA with Master Blacksmith Alex O'Dell as our demonstrator.
3. March 14th: CANCELLED
4. April 4th: First Weekend due to Easter. Glen Bryant's Hammer-In Clifton Forge at the Clifton Forge School for the Arts. All
ODBSA members are invited to attend, as well as the public. CANCELLED
5. May 9th, Norman McKenzie, Falling River Forge, Rustburg, VA. CANCELLED
6. June 13th: Place confirmed and demonstrator: L.T. Skinnell's Otter Hill Forge in Bedford,VA. Master Blacksmith/Teacher Jerry
Darnell will be out demonstrator. CANCELLED
7. July 11th: TBD
8. August 8th- TBD
9. September 12th: Bobby Floyd's. Plantation Forge in Long Island, VA
10. OCT. 10th Fred Crist Studio, Waynesboro, Va. Fred will be our demonstrator. CONFIRMED
11. NOV. 14th : Cedar Rock Forge, Rob Minnix shop in Gladys,VA Demonstrator: Carson Sams CONFIRMED
12.Dec. 12th : TBD
Cedar Rock Forge
Rob, Sue & Ben Minnix
2501 Theta Mill RD
Gladys, VA 24554
1. On 501 turn onto Long Island Road(761) across the street from the Exxon in Gladys; go 3/4 miles and turn right onto Theta Mill RD; then go about a mile and his farm/home is on the left; bare left in his driveway to get to his shop/studio.
2. On 29 just north of Altavista and across the street from Perky's(699) restaurant take Gladys RD for about 9 miles (it dead ends onto Long Island Rd(761); turn left for about a mile and turn left onto Theta Mill Road (698) about a mile and his farm/home is on the left side; bare left in his driveway to get to his shop/studio.
South River Complex
200 Twelfth Street
Waynesboro, VA 22980
Travelling 64 West, exit at Afton (at the top of the mountain) and continue travelling west on 250. Go through the first light at 340 as you come into town. The road Y's at the next light and you want to stay to the left. Cross the bridge and turn left at the next light which is Arch St. Go about 5 blocks and turn left on West Twelfth St. Proceed to the gate. At the gate is a guard and visitors can sign in and get directions to the school's space there. It isn't hard to find.
147 Abe's Way
Rustburg, VA 24588
Directions: Norm promises that no one will get lost if they use Map Quest or their GPS
Just in case My Cell is 434-665-4225
1. From the south: Take Hwy 24 east to Rustburg. Go past Hardies to Red House Rd (Next Light) and turn right. Just behind the high school, turn left on 663, Bethany Rd. Go 4.5 miles, crossing the Falling River, go to the top of the hill and turn right on Abe's Way. Second house on the right. White Cape Cod.
2. From the north, come down the 29 By-pass (New) and go east on 460 towards Appomattox. Go to the Light on 460 at Concord and turn right on Hwy 24. Just past the school, turn left on Spring Mill. Go 4 miles to New Chapel Rd and turn right. Go 1.8 miles to Bethany Rd. and turn right. Go .7 miles to Abe's Way and turn left. Second house on the right. White Cape Cod..
9332 Ward Road
Rustburg, Virginia 24588
1. Coming from the south (Danville, Chatham, Gretna) on route 29 go about 1/2 mile past where route 24 intersects. Sunrise Forge sits off some on the left side and you will need to go past it and turn around because there is no crossover in front of his place (it is across the street from used tractor place).
2. From Lynchburg go south on route 29 about six miles and then look on right side for his sign (Sunrise Forge). His sign is RED with his Loge on it. Also, look for his yellow mailbox. If you go to Hwy 24 Light, you went to far.
Otter Hill Forge
Barbara and L.T. Skinnell
2732 Otter Hill Road
Bedford, Virginia 24523
From Bedford: Take route 714 which becomes ( Falling Creek Road) 0ut past Bedford County Nursing Home and go 5.5 miles across a cement bridge. At top of hill, turn right on route 715 (Otter Hill Rd) and go 1.8 miles. 2732 on mailbox. House on left.
From Roanoke: Take third exit off 460 by-pass. Turn right on to 714 and follow directions from Bedford. If using route 24 from Roanoke use directions from Moneta.
From Lynchburg: Take first exit off 460 (just past McDonalds)Turn left on to 714 and follow directions from Bedford.
From Moneta: Follow route 122 to intersection with route 24.Turn right on to route 24 and go 5.5 miles to "T" intersection with route 43.Turn left on route 43north and go 1.2 miles just past Pecks Baptist Church. Turn right on to route 715 (Otter Hill Rd) and go 1.6 miles. House on right. 2732 on mailbox.
From Altavista: (at by-pass route 43 exit) Take route 43 north for 1.8 miles. Turn right on to route 628 and go 8.3 miles to intersection with route 43 at Mentow Baptist Church. Go right on 43 North for 1.5 miles to intersection with route 24. Turn left on route 43 North and go 3.9 miles just past Pecks Baptist Church to route 715 (Otter Hill Rd) and go 1.6 miles.2732 on mailbox. House on right.
From Yellow Branch (routes 29 & 24 intersection) Take route 24 through Evington and over Big Otter Bridge for 16.5 miles. At intersection route 24 and 43 merge. Keep straight on 24 for 2.7 miles. At this intersection, 24 & 43 separate. Keep straight on 43 north for 1.2 miles just past Pecks Baptist Church. Turn right on 715 (Otter Hill Rd) and go 1.6 miles. 2732 on mailbox. House on right
Bobby & Jocelyne Floyd
816 Honeybee Rd
Long Island, VA 24569
From South (Danville area) 29 North to Gretna-29 North Bus. In Gretna to traffic light. Turn right (40 east) go 10 miles to Mount Airy. Turn left on 640. Stay on 640 to 761. Turn right on 761. Stay on 761 You will see Straightstone Baptist Church keep on 761 and turn right on 3rd paved road from Church. Honeybee rd rte 639----- about 3/4 mile is the 2nd mail box on right (white #816) Turn right here . Gravel driveway is ½ mile .
From East (Brookneal) 40 West to Cody (brick country store) at Cody- turn right on 640 and stay on 640 to dead end. Turn left on 639- When you see sign of leave Halifax county enter Pittsylvania Co. it is 1st driveway on left –white mailbox #816 –Gravel driveway is ½ mile long.
From North (Lynchburg) 29 south to traffic light at rte24. Turn left (24 east) to 501. On 501 go south to Gladys (approx 8 miles). In Gladys at Texaco station (on your left) TURN RIGHT onto rte 761 to Long Island and cross railroad tracks and stay on 761 past Staunton river bridge for 2 to 2 and half miles. Turn left on rte 639 (Honeybee Rd) to 2nd mailbox on right about 3/4 mile(White box # 816) Turn Right. Gravel driveway is ½ mile. If using 501- Stay on 501 south to Gladys and follow above directions from Gladys
Another way from Lynchburg 29 south: When you near Altavista, you will wee a car dealership called Altavista motors. In front of the dealership get in the left lane and slow down, as you will go ½ mile (+ or -) to route 699 which is in front of a small restaurant called “Perkys”---turn left onto 699 and stay on until it dead-ends on rte.761--- Turn right onto 761 and stay on until approx 2 miles past Staunton river—you get on route 639 (Honeybee Rd) which is on your left and is actually the 1Stpaved road on left from bridge. Go ) 0.7 mile an 630 ---- you come to white mail box with #816 – turn into that driveway which is ½ mile.
From West using Rte 40 Stay on 40 east until 10 miles past Gretna to Mt Airy. Turn left on 640 and stay until 761- turn right on 761 and stay on 761 (you will see Straightstone Baptist church) keep on 761 to the 3 rd paved road on the right. Turn right onto rte 639 Honeybee Rd. Our driveway is at the 2nd mailbox on right (white box #816). Gravel driveway is ½ long
Glen Bryant's Hammer IN
Clifton Forge School for the Arts
518 Church Street
Clifton Forge, VA 24422